Holidays are fun and exciting, and the last thing you want to do is to worry about your jewellery.
The first rule of thumb, don’t take anything you can’t bear to lose.
This doesn’t mean to go blingless, just think about leaving your heirloom diamond engagement ring safely at home and wear your wedding band alone. Or replace both with a costume piece that looks pretty, but won’t break your heart to lose, or make you a target for a mugging.
If you are going to a special occasion and choose to travel with your fine jewellery, make sure it is insured, including cover for travelling.
When packing your bags there are a few things to do to make life easier.
- Invest in a travelling jewellery case. These have separate compartments for items to stop them from tangling up.
- A daily pill box is very handy for keeping earrings and rings in, one item per day of the week.
- Thread a pair of earrings onto a safety pin, it keeps them handily together. A button does the same job.
- Spread out a small towel, position your jewellery then roll up. Tie the ends with couple of hair ties, and just like that you have a safe and inconspicuous travel case.
- Thread chains through a straw then do up the clasps. This stops them from tangling together.
When travelling by air, pack your jewellery into your carry-on bag. Bags that are checked through sometimes go missing.
Once you are on holiday, here are some ideas on how to keep your valuables safe.
- Use the in-room safe, programming it with a number other than 0000 or the like.
- Be aware of your surroundings. If you are travelling where there is a lot of poverty, don’t wear a lot of jewellery, or anything particularly valuable. You are likely to attract the attention of thieves.
- If you are wearing a money belt, pop your jewellery in as well.
If you decided to leave your valuables at home while away, make sure you haven’t broadcast that you are away to all and sundry. Posting on Facebook that you away for two weeks is like rolling out the red carpet to tech-savvy thieves.
Choose an inconspicuous place to store your valuables, cancel the paper delivery, get a neighbour to collect your mail, make sure all the locks are in use and spare keys removed from under the flower pot by the back door.
For some attractive but inexpensive pieces that are perfect to take on holiday, get into the holiday spirit early and pop into Village Jeweller to see what our cabinets hold.